Shared Memory

Larry Rogers lrr at princeton.UUCP
Sat Dec 21 06:23:38 AEST 1985

For some ideas on shared memory, messages, and semaphores, I can recommend
the ``Advanced Programmer's Guide to UNIX System V'' available from Osborne/
McGraw-Hill.  I am one of the authors of the book and I wrote the sections
in chapter 7 that describe these things and show examples.

As I read your note, I pondered the problem of sharing linked lists between
processes as the addresses stored in the data structures comprising the
list items cannot have process-specific addresses unless the shared
memory is placed at the same virtual location in each process.  This is
doable when the shared memory is attached, but the processes must
communicate this information (common header files?).  It's an
interesting concept, though.

Larry Rogers
Princeton University
Department of Computer Science
Engineering Quadrangle Building, Room C334
Princeton, NJ 08544

UUCP:	princeton!lrr
CSNET:	lrr%princeton at CSnet-relay
PHONE:	609 452 6483