Disturbing News re. DEC and UNIX

Robert N. Berlinger naftoli at aecom.UUCP
Thu Dec 26 05:02:04 AEST 1985

> The official line from DEC is that Ultrix 1.2 (the next release,
> for those of us who aren't already beta-testing it) will be built
> on the current release (1.1, which is 4.2 + frills) but it will
> also meet the System V Interface Description (SVID).

Even though Ultrix might meet the SVID, it does not necessarily follow
that anything will port straight over.

1.  SVID does not mention anything about the C compiler, yet
    programs might have to be changed to get them to compile on a
    4.2BSD based cc.

2.  Many programs rely on the System V utilities to be present.
    So far, I haven't heard anything about DEC porting the
    application level utilities.

3.  SVID does not mention anything about hardware support.  Will
    DEC support my RM05 look alikes?  My KMC11 assisted DZ11s?
    My KMC11 driven RJE?

I'm sure I could think of a few more question... So far, I'm not convinced
that ULTRIX will do the job for us System V/DEC customers.
--
Robert Berlinger
...{philabs,cucard,pegasus,ihnp4,rocky2}!aecom!naftoli