(lack of) VAX support in future System V releases

Bill Shannon shannon at sun.uucp
Mon Dec 2 18:50:18 AEST 1985

> ... The same letter announces that they are "changing
> their porting base" from the VAX-11/780 to the 3B2.  What that
> concretely means is unclear, as they do  n o t  say explicitly
> that they are dropping support for the VAX.  Maybe they are just
> making it official that new features on the 3B's appear more slowly
> on VAXen?  (hope not dropping support ...)  However, the rest of
> the letter strongly tried to sell the valued customer some 3B2's.
> --
>
> 	Joe Yao		hadron!jsdy at seismo.{CSS.GOV,ARPA,UUCP}

As I understand it, this DOES mean that they are dropping support
for the VAX.  Future System V source releases will come ready to
run on 3B2's.  You will not be able to buy a System V source release
that will boot and run on a VAX.  You can get a 3B2 system from AT&T,
or you can get a 68k system from Motorola, or you can get a *86 system
from Intel, or ..., but you can't (won't be able to) get a VAX system
from anyone.

					Bill Shannon