Bourne shell modifications, past and future

Bill.Stewart.4K435.x0705 wcs at ho95e.UUCP
Sun Dec 15 14:16:29 AEST 1985

In article <214 at gwsd.UUCP> revc at gwsd.UUCP (Bob Van Cleef) writes:
>> > What shell and which machine allows this? I'm running SV.2 on an AT&T
>> > UNIX PC with the Bourne shell, and it won't work for me.
>>
>> The standard S5R2 Bourne shell allows this.  I sincerely hope that
>> Convergent or AT&T isn't putting out an S5R1 shell on a system which claims
>> to be S5R2; check up with your vendor on this.  Try saying
>>
>> 	type cat
>>
>> to your shell.  If it says "cat is /bin/cat" or somesuch, it's the S5R2 shell
>> 	Guy Harris
>
>On an AT&T 3b2/300 - SYS V.2
>	$ type cat
>	Cat is hashed (/bin/cat)
>
>On an AT&T PC7300 - SYS V.2
>	$ type cat
>	type: not found
>
>Aren't standards wonderful???

Unfortunately, the AT&T PC7300 is NOT SysVR2, it's System V Release 1.
If the operating system you have has a 2.0 number (mine does), that
means it's System V Release (1) pc7300-version-2.0.  there's supposedly
a 3.0 coming out soon; it isn't System V Release 3.
--
# Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs 2G-202, Holmdel NJ 1-201-949-0705 ihnp4!ho95c!wcs