"_doprnt" results

Thomas Fravenhofer tfra at ur-tut.UUCP
Thu Dec 19 12:44:35 AEST 1985

[Virgin line sacrified to the God of Line Eating]

I got QUITE a bit of mail on my request for what _doprnt, so I thought I'd
summarize the results rather than send individual replies.  Here goes:

_doprnt is a routine which does not exist on all unix systems.  It basically
does all the work of printf, fprintf, and sprintf in formatting the text.

A companion routine of _doprnt is _strout, which appears to be an output
routine (sending output to either standard output, a specific file, or a
character string).

Thanks to all who answered my question.  For those who wonder what my problem
was, it turned out not to be bad parameters sent to anything, but rather a
poor linker.  It seems one of the modules I was compiling contained its own
version of _strout, but the linker was still pulling in the version of
_strout from libc.  When I later tried to execute _strout, it didn't know
which one to call, so it went to never-never land.

- Tom Frauenhofer

"A closed mouth gathers no feet" - Mark Twain