CHAOS support for 4.2BSD

Smith ks at pur-ee.UUCP
Tue Feb 12 16:39:03 AEST 1985

In article <8044 at brl-tgr.ARPA> Marshall Rose <mrose at udel-dewey.ARPA> writes:
>Howdy.  I'm looking for any information on CHAOSnet support for a "standard"
>4.2BSD UNIX on a VAX-11/750 connected to an ethernet.  In particular, I'm
>interested in hooking up to a couple of lisp machines which speak CHAOS
>and I'd like to run the usual TELNET/FTP/SMTP between the lisp engines and
>the 750.
>
>Any pointers would be appreciated.  Many thanks,
>
>/mtr
>
>ps: please reply to me only to avoid congesting the list.  thanks.

Unfortunately, the mailer at udel-dewey is having problems with your mail.
Other people have expressed interest, so here goes...

We have a lisp machine connected to our vaxen through TCP/IP.
In general, we have been quite pleased with the TCP/IP package
available from Symbolics.  (I assume you are refering to symbolics machines).
Of course there are some glitches with the implementation,
but the overall functionality is present, and the small problems
we had were mostly my mistakes in configuring the system.
This route seemed more attractive than supporting chaosnet on a vax.
Now our lisp machine is able to talk to many vaxen, in fact
it was just recently put on the arpanet, where it can successfully
communicate with well over 1000 machines.

You really ought to investigate this alternative route.

					Kirk Smith
					ks at pur-ee.UUCP
					ks at purdue-ecn.ARPA