shell scripts as login shells

Guy Harris guy at rlgvax.UUCP
Wed Feb 20 12:29:22 AEST 1985

> In article <1166 at sunybcs.UUCP> loverso at sunybcs.UUCP (John Robert LoVerso) writes:
> ||I've found that a shell (sh or csh) script thats somebody's login shell can't be
> ||stopped or broken out of w/o logging the person out.  Therefore, the "window
> ||of vulnerability" is removed.
>
> Sorry, that won't work on v7 systems, where you can't execute a shell
> file with exec(2), which is what login uses (execlp, actually).

Sorry, that *will* work on V7 (and 4.xBSD, and Sys3, and SysV) systems,
where "execlp" *does* execute a shell file (as long as it has the appropriate
execute permission bit set).  I just tried an account with a shell script
as its login shell on our system (with a System III "login"), and it worked
just fine.

	Guy Harris
	{seismo,ihnp4,allegra}!rlgvax!guy