biff -- an alternative

Ed Nather nather at utastro.UUCP
Sun Feb 24 05:45:37 AEST 1985

> I have been annoyed by 'biff' ringing the terminal bell and
> messing up my screen too many times. [ ... ]
>
>   jjg at security.UUCP						(UUCP)

I don't use "biff" for just that reason.  There is a way to be informed
of new mail, just before the shell types your prompt, so you don't ever
get interrupted; you get the message when you've finished what you're
doing.

I have this in my .login file -- change the name (please!) to your
login name, and try it.  It checks every 60 seconds to see if mail has
arrived, and lets you know when it's convenient for you.

set mail=(60 /usr/spool/mail/nather)

--
Ed Nather
Astronony Dept, U of Texas @ Austin