biff

Jeff Glass jjg at security.UUCP
Sat Feb 23 07:43:00 AEST 1985

I have been annoyed by 'biff' ringing the terminal bell and
messing up my screen too many times.  I am thinking of modifying
/etc/comsat to only print the message "You have new mail"
(ala csh's message) if the user setuid bit is turned on in addition
to the user execute bit.

question is:  would this have side effects that I am not aware of?
are the other execute bits (for group and other) used for anything?

reply by mail if you think this is a stupid question;  otherwise you
can reply to the net.

thanks/jeff
--
  security!jjg at mitre-bedford.ARPA				(MIL)
  jjg at security.UUCP						(UUCP)