Public Domain Yacc (sort of)

Arnold Robbins arnold at gatech.UUCP
Tue Feb 19 07:17:02 AEST 1985

> With all this discussion about P/D yacc, what about stacc from
> Georgia Tech?  I admit it is in ratfor, but would it work or
> could it be recoded to C for those interested?  (could it be
> recoded and posted?)  Maybe it is not truly  P/D, but it can be
> had farily cheapy as I recall.
>
> John McDermott	{gatech|ucbvax|convex|pur-ee}!unmvax!mcdermot

My understanding of the way copyrights etc. works, is that if someone
(besides us here at Tech) converts 'stacc' to C and posts it, he's in big
trouble.

For those who don't know, stacc is STill Another Compiler Compiler, which
is similar to Yacc, but produces a recursive descent parser (in any of
Ratfor, C, Pascal, PL/1, or Plp).  It is written in itself, using
ratfor. I should mention that Prime Fortran allows recursive subroutines
and functions or else it wouldn't work.  The ratfor used at Georgia Tech
on primes is NOT compatible with Unix Ratfor, either...

One of our very far back on the burner projects is to rewrite stacc in
C, and possibly post it (depending on if the lawyers would let us).

There are one or two other programs that have been rewritten in C from
the Georgia Tech Software Tools Subsystem, including the 'se' screen
editor.  I hope to post these, eventually, if and only iff the lawyers will
let me.
--
Arnold Robbins
CSNET:	arnold at gatech	ARPA:	arnold%gatech.csnet at csnet-relay.arpa
UUCP:	{ akgua, allegra, hplabs, ihnp4, seismo, ut-sally }!gatech!arnold

Help advance the state of Computer Science: Nuke a PR1ME today!