laser printers, 8 bit output and fflow control

Robert Viduya robert at gitpyr.UUCP
Mon Feb 11 22:50:40 AEST 1985

><
Posted from  (Bill Johnston [csam]) johnston at lbl-csam

> 	cat file >/dev/.....	#(cat probably won't work on 8 bit files, you
> 				  will have to use a simpler filter)

Huh?  Since when does cat not work with 8-bit files?  I don't believe cat is
documented to be an "only text" file processor.  I don't know about other
systems, but cat on a Pyramid 90x running 4.2BSD and cat on a 3B2 running
System V release 2 both handle binary files.  Or is there something I'm
missing?

			robert
--
Robert Viduya
Georgia Institute of Technology

...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,masscomp,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!robert
...!{rlgvax,sb1,uf-cgrl,unmvax,ut-sally}!gatech!gitpyr!robert