UNIX source vs. binary (NOT A LEGAL ARGUMENT)

Jim Scardelis jim at timeinc.UUCP
Sat Feb 9 15:11:05 AEST 1985

> In the old days (less now) DEC would give a binary site for certain
> (most) O/S's quite a few sources, recognizing that this is necessary for
> survival. I think that there are quite a few programs/source modules
> that MUST be supplied with a UNIX distribution for survival. I realize
> a few of these are supplied with SOME distributions, but not enough.

    Having a microcomputer binary license, with a *few* sources, I agree.
I would *really* like to be able to customize login.c so that dialup logins
from 'root' are disallowed...but I can't. At least I have enough source/object
modules to add device drivers to the system (and a 'sample' driver in the
manual). At least shell scripts are readable...

					Jim Scardelis

"The opinions expressed herein are those of my computer, and are not
   necessarily mine, or that of my employer."