setting TERM [converted to 4.2BSD gripe]

Chris Torek chris at umcp-cs.UUCP
Sun Feb 24 18:35:14 AEST 1985

At the very least, there should be one file with this information:

Right now this information must be extracted from three separate
files: /etc/ttys, /etc/gettytab, /etc/ttytype.  It seems to me that
the <speed> cannot (and should not) be inferred from the <type>,
so this is the proper organization for these.

What I might like to see: /etc/ttys looking like this:

	# anything here is a comment...
	# the first entry is "enablement" (this *is* /etc/ttys)
	1 tty00 autobaud dialup
	1 tty01 9600 aaa
	0 tty02 4800 weird	# the line is busted for some reason
	1 tty03 12,3 dialup	# 1200/300 only dialup

The first two fields are of use to /etc/init; the second and third
are of use to getty, and the fourth is of use to login (when setting
TERM).

Note that no changes to the kernel would be required (though init,
a pretty sensitive process, would have to be rewritten).
CSNet:	chris at umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris at maryland