setting TERM on SYS Vr2

Guy Harris guy at rlgvax.UUCP
Wed Feb 27 06:07:07 AEST 1985

> Those users could have their .profile <set TERM and TZ>, then `exec' their
> <login shell> as the last statement.

That can be done - it's what we did before we fixed "login" to permit
you to set TERM and TZ directly.  However:

1) it's a kludge, the need for which can be obviated by a minor change
to "login";

2) it requires the system administrator to go through a song-and-dance
to set up their account ("No, Fred, you don't just set their "shell"
field to "/op/op/programs/shell", you leave it blank and stick the
following in their .profile...") - i.e., it renders the "shell" field
of the password file largely useless.

	Guy Harris
	{seismo,ihnp4,allegra}!rlgvax!guy