UNIX src vs binary

Roger Hale roger at ll-sst.ARPA
Sat Feb 9 05:26:33 AEST 1985

From: cottrell at NBS-VMS.ARPA
(Replying-to: BostonU SysMgr <root%bostonu.csnet at CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>)
> Time of day could be enforced by coding a `shell' program that
> chec[ks] the time, & only exec's /bin/sh if legal. It could also
> require secondary passwords. The path name of the user's desired
> shell could be encoded after his name in the gecos field.

I wouldn't use the gecos field; it's already overused.  Berkeley
keeps a finger database in the position you mention.  (Version 7
suggests GCOS job number, box number, optional GCOS user-id *<8-) .)
I would look for a .shell file in the user's home directory and
accept the name therein if it's on my list of ``trusted shells''
(which I might compile in or read from a ``secure'' file in /etc).

Yr obedt svt,
Roger Hale (roger at ll-sst)