RA81 hanging then installing 4.2BSD on a VAX 785

Steve Herber herber at bgsuvax.UUCP
Fri Feb 22 00:04:11 AEST 1985

We have been trying to install 4.2BSD on a VAX 11/785 for sometime now.
The problem we run into is that when we try to restore the / filesystem
from the distribution tape, the system hangs and the 'A' light goes
out on the RA81 that the restore is being done on.  I have tried using
a different RA81 (unit 1 or 2 and also switching the unit plugs), using
a different tape, restoring other file systems (/usr and others) and
the system always hangs in the same spot.

Now some more background info....  We have 2 UNIBUS's and the UDA50
is on a seperate UNIBUS from all of our communication lines.  We also
have a TU78 as our tape system.

We are running a simular configuration on our 780 (3 RA81's, TU78, 4.2BSD)
EXCEPT that system only has 1 UNIBUS and we never had to restore the
filesystems from tape (we added the RA81 while we had a RP07 and simply
copied from disk to disk).

I haven't heard anything real helpful from DEC yet but I have read
something on the net about a UNIBUS mapping problem (feature?) with
the UDA50 controller.

PS....  The system passes diagnostics (of course) and even runs the
VMS exceptance tests when the machine was installed.

		HELP!!!!!!

						Steve Herber
						Bowling Green State U.
						osu-eddie!bgsuvax!herber