Which *nix? BSD : System V

Roger Southwick rogers at dadla.UUCP
Tue Feb 19 11:36:54 AEST 1985

[No matter where you go...there you are.  Buckaroo Banzai]

In his article "Which *nix? BSD : System V", Dave writes:

>    If you need to know at compile time whether you're on a Berklix or
> a System V system, this might help.  It seems to work on all of our
> systems, including the Pyramid split universe wonder:
>
> 	# include	<fcntl.h>
> 	# ifdef		FNDELAY
> 	# define	BSD
> 	# else
> 	# define	SYS5
> 	# endif
>
> This assumes that FNDELAY is not defined in the System V fcntl.h, and
> is in the BSD.  Can anyone think of a case where this is not true, or
> suggest a more convenient/valid alternative?

Sure...  How about 2.8 BSD.  I have 3 PDP 11 systems running 2.8, and
the include file is not even there.

Also, what about the not so distant past of 4.1 BSD?  How about V7?
I don't remember if 4.1 had it (our system is now 4.2), and our V7
stuff is tucked away and long since forgotten.

What I'd like to see is for all systems to have a <ostype.h> file
containing the apropos define:

#define BSD4_2
   or
#define SYSV_2
   or
#define BSD4_1
   or
#define VERS_7

Or some other such silly STANDARD thing.

But I guess I'll keep on dreaming...

		-Roger

UUCP:			HOST!tektronix!dadla!rogers

			Where HOST is any one of:

			masscomp,decvax,allegra,uf-cgrl,mit-eddie,mit-ems,
			uoregon,psu-cs,orstcs,zehntel,ucbcad,ucbvax,purdue,
			uw-beaver,reed,ogcvax,ihnp4,tekred,minn-ua,cbosg

CSnet:			rogers%dadla at tektronix

ARPAnet:		rogers%dadla%tektronix at csnet-relay