ps problem

Jim Shankland jas at rtech.ARPA
Tue Feb 5 08:22:49 AEST 1985

> ... ps(1) looks at stderr to figure out what the "controlling
> terminal" is.
> Gordon A. Moffett		...!{ihnp4,hplabs,sun}!amdahl!gam

If this is true, it seems like a horrible hack to me.  Surely ps could
get its notion of the controlling terminal from the proc table entry
for the ps process itself (it is, after all, already rooting around
in the proc table)?  The notion of a controlling terminal is an attribute
of a process, and need not have any connection with what files that
process has open.

Anybody know whether (1) Gordon is wrong; (2) Gordon is right, and I'm
right, so ps is just ugly; or (3) I've missed something?

Jim Shankland
..!ucbvax!mtxinu!rtech!jas