Driving modems with tip...

Larry Rodis larry at anasazi.UUCP
Thu Jan 24 04:27:44 AEST 1985

> The every other character symptom sounds like two processes trying
> to read the same line.  Is the line enabled for login at the time you
> are trying to autodial?
>
> As I understand using the same line for auto-answer and dialout can only
> be done if you modify the tty driver to arbitrate between the two.
>
> 				Jerry Aguirre @ Olivetti ATC
> {hplabs|fortune|idi|ihnp4|tolerant|allegra|tymix}!oliveb!jerry

You do not have to modify tty driver to allow dial out and dial in on the
same line at least note on System and several pc versions of unix. All that
needs to be done is for the program that uses the line to dial out must check
to see if the line is in use and if not disable the getty from running on
the line.(On sys V this is done by changing to an init level which that
oarticular line does not support.) Once this is done the program is free to use
the line for dialout purposes. When the program is ready to terminate all that
needs to be done is to re-enable the line and start the getty(sometimes this is
done automatically).

				Larry Rodis @ Anasazi

		uucp: ..decvax!noao!terak!anasazi!larry
		      ..ucbvax!asuvax!anasazi!larry  -Currently asuvax is down.