UNIX Sys V, consider it the only game in town

David Sherman dave at lsuc.UUCP
Thu Jan 3 04:24:29 AEST 1985

In article <6818 at brl-tgr.ARPA> Tom Perrine <tom at LOGICON.ARPA> writes:
||Recently I called ATT Technologies (1-800-828-UNIX).
||I was investigating the cost of upgrading a PWB/UNIX source license to
||V7 (so we could get 2.9!). We are a subsidiary license of DoD.
||In other words, no matter what you want, you get a Sys V license,
||whether your hardware is supported or not, and they will ship you some
||older system that probably will run on your hardware.
||Foo! Maybe MCI, Sprint or GTE should go into the operating system business.
||Anybody have a contact for GNU? I'm completely disgusted.

I don't understand what you're complaining about. If you ever want
to get software from anywhere else, it certainly makes sense for you
to have a System V license rather than something earlier. We went
through the same business two years ago, and we got a System III license
although we're only running v7. May come in useful too.

Dave Sherman
The Law Society of Upper Canada
Toronto
--
{utzoo pesnta nrcaero utcs}!lsuc!dave
{allegra decvax ihnp4 linus}!utcsrgv!lsuc!dave