How to make 4.2BSD ``/etc/dumps faster

Don Speck speck at cit-vax
Wed Jan 2 01:11:58 AEST 1985

    I've been working on my own speed mods for dump - with changes in
only ONE source file (/usr/src/etc/dump/dumptape.c), NO kernel changes,
it runs the TU77 on our 780 at its full 125 ips.  I'll get my chance to
try it on a TU80 next week.  I hope to mail off the file to unix-sources
shortly afterward, if there are no licensing problems.
    Chris:  I'd be interested in seeing your approach.	I turned 'dump'
into a concurrent program communicating with pipes and signals:  while
one process writes the tape, the others read the disk and communicate.
There's always (exactly) one process writing the tape at any time.

				Don Speck   Caltech	(818) 356-6886