unexpected alarms

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.UUCP
Wed Jan 16 05:33:30 AEST 1985

Just to bring people up to date:  nobody (repeat, nobody) has been able
to suggest a real use for letting alarms continue across execs.  I note
that later AT&T manuals do say that alarms continue across execs, but
this looks very much like unthinking propagation of an unrecognized
oversight, not a deliberate decision.

I stand by my earlier contention:  setuid programs have too many things
to worry about as it is.  This particular bit of behavior is useless and
stupid, and should be abolished.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology