AT&T and Unix

Landon C. Noll chongo at nsc.UUCP
Sun Jan 20 17:08:24 AEST 1985

In article <7338 at brl-tgr.ARPA> Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn at BRL-VLD.ARPA> writes:
 >Just because you want something does not mean you have a claim on it.
 >UNIX is AT&T's property and if they want to ask a million dollars for
 >access to it that is their right.

				  *sigh*

All the more reason to create a public domain style of unix (note the
use of the noun) and post it to the net!  Even then you wil have to come
up with some other name (like GNU, or TM) and have the lawyers on hand
to prove that your sources never got near AT&T's version of unix.

Well anyway the above is my opinion and does not reflect a stand on
the part of my company.

chongo <unix (n.)  1) a yummo thing.  2) an idea> /\uu/\
--
    Lome tiranar?  Ash Urnikx arda!  Ash thrakatuluk krimpatul!

				A chant from the AT&T marketing book
					<arpox.>