out of order messages

Geoff Kuenning geoff at desint.UUCP
Sun Jan 20 10:53:46 AEST 1985

In article <7379 at brl-tgr.ARPA> Lauren Weinstein writes:

>I'm starting to see unix-wizards messages out of origination
>sequence, from the same person and site.  In theory, I don't
>think this should be occurring if all messages are being
>delivered in order.  For example, three of my messages, sent
>in order by me into the network, were delivered out of order
>by BRL.  Any ideas?

Sure.  If BRL batches them and then sends them out via UUCP, the articles
could wind up in different batch files.  Then UUCP, in time-honored fashion,
processes files in directory order rather than time order (on both ends,
no less!), so the articles quickly become randomized.
--

	Geoff Kuenning
	...!ihnp4!trwrb!desint!geoff