maxusers in config file

Joel Coltoff coltoff at burdvax.UUCP
Fri Jan 11 06:45:30 AEST 1985

< *********** >

A deparate cry for 4.2bsd help,

	We have maxusers set to 32 in our config file. Today we had
36 people logged in. I've done my best in tracking down what could
be going on but I am a hardware jock and can only do so much when
it comes to the kernel. Anyway the login program calls a function
quota() which is supposed to check to see if you've hit the login
limit. This I track down to the qquota() function in /sys/sys/quota_sys.c
To my surprise this code does nothing if QUOTA is not defined during
compilation. This we had done but login limits and quota limits
are two separate things and I expected to see some code after the
ifdef. Can somebody ( via mail ) give me an indication as to what
might be wrong. This situation can't be good for the machine. I imagine
that the maxusers number sets up tables somewhere that have overflowed
and steped on some important memory location. It's like trying to jam
12 bits into an 8 bit register.

Again please respond by mail. This isn't a group I normally read.

	Thanks in advance,
--

	Joel Coltoff	{sdcrdcf,bpa,psuvax1}!burdvax!coltoff
			(215)648-7258