any harm in allowing only ctrl-Q to restart output?

Guy Harris guy at rlgvax.UUCP
Fri Jan 4 16:16:18 AEST 1985

>From the original article:

> I'd like to change UNIX to require ctrl-Q (actually t_startc)
> to restart output. ...
> We're running v7 on a Perkin-Elmer 3220, by the way.

The reply:

> stty -ixany   should also cause the dc1/dc3 sequence to be recognized
>               exclusively.  It is a lot easier than patching source
> 	        code.

*Ahem.*  This is the case with the System N driver, for N >= III.  The
driver was much changed in System III; the "IXANY" bit was not in any
other UNIX terminal driver.  Specifically, it is not in the V7 driver.
Berkeley's "V7 with goat gland injections" driver has a bit which is
the inverse of this, called LDECCTQ.

As such, "stty -ixany" doesn't do a bit of good to a user running V7 on
a Perkin-Elmer 3220, and patching source code *is* required to make
XON/XOFF handling strict on that system.

Please don't assume that everybody is running your version of UNIX.
Also, if you *are* asking a question about UNIX, please state the derivation
of the version; it will help people to give you an answer pertinent
to that version.

	Guy Harris
	{seismo,ihnp4,allegra}!rlgvax!guy