4.2 networking question

Chris Torek chris at umcp-cs.UUCP
Tue Jan 22 02:50:37 AEST 1985

Great galloping horney todes!  [Tryinta get inta the spirit for Dallas...)

> What I am doing: trying to establish a raw socket,
> with protocol number 15:

>	#define XNETPROTO	15
>	socknbr = socket(AF_INET,SOCK_RAW,XNETPROTO);

>	This call is returning the "Protocol not supported" error.
>	By the way, I have SETUIDed, so it is running in supervisor mode,
>	as it should, for using raw sockets.

Waaall, a couple of things: first, AF_INET SOCK_RAW will get you a raw
connection.  But you don't need (or want) a protocol field.  Instead,
you get to read and write headers yourself.  Lessee, to get to the IMP
(or whatever), you want to bind() in AF_INET to the interface address,
I think.

I'm sure y'all 'r gonna jump on me if I missed anything, so I'll
jest mosey on outta here now ...
--
(This line accidently left nonblank.)

CSNet:	chris at umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris at maryland