smart compilers

Dick Dunn rcd at opus.UUCP
Tue Jan 15 17:09:18 AEST 1985

> > I thought Fortran-77 required constant actual parameters to be
> > "copied in" rather than passed by reference?
>
> FORTRAN parameters are always pass-by-reference.

Please verify before you post absolutes like this.  FORTRAN parameters are
required to obey a certain semantics.  Call-by-reference is one mechanism
which satisfies the constraints.  Copy/restore is another.
--
Dick Dunn	{hao,ucbvax,allegra}!nbires!rcd		(303)444-5710 x3086
   ...A friend of the devil is a friend of mine.