Virtual machines

Jack Jansen jack at vu44.UUCP
Fri Jan 11 05:53:24 AEST 1985

> From: BostonU SysMgr <root%bostonu.csnet at csnet-relay.arpa>
> 	We were distributed with our laser printer software a
> 	UNIX (4.2 dependent probably) program called 'undump.c'
> 	What it seems to do quite reliably is take a 'core'
> 	and turn it back into an a.out which will start up as
> 	it was at the time of the core dump (eg. after a SIGQUIT.)

This sounds interesting. I wrote such a routine some time ago
for a CDC Cyber, and it was *very* useful.
I was thinking about writing something like it for unix,
but the problem seems to be the stack. I couldn't figure
a way to initialize the stack from a core image.

Anyone has any ideas how to perform that feat?
--
	Jack Jansen, {seismo|philabs|decvax}!mcvax!vu44!jack
	or				       ...!vu44!htsa!jack