Microvax 2 chip set

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.UUCP
Tue Jan 8 11:14:17 AEST 1985

The following is some interesting information, from a source I will not
name (and don't bother asking for more info, you're getting all I've got),
about a forthcoming chip set from DEC, the "Microvax 2 [II?]" chips.

The cpu chip, which implements the Microvax instruction set (i.e. VAX
minus a few of the sillier things) and has memory management on-chip,
is the 78032.  (This is pronounced "seven-eighty-thirty-two" for some
reason, not "seventy-eight-oh-thirty-two".)  The floating-point chip,
a tightly-coupled coprocessor, is the 78132.  There is a DMA controller
(78532), a DRAM controller (78584), and a vectored-interrupt chip (78516)
to match.  In-Circuit-Emulation goodies will follow.

The chips are bug-free (or roughly so) in the lab, to the extent that
both VMS and Ultrix are already running on them.  Benchmarking is
being done, so it can be safely assumed that they are running at near-final
clock speeds as well.

"What about the benchmarking", you ask...  The story I have is that they
are consistently faster than the 750, although not consistently up to a
780.  Some instructions are actually a bit faster than on a 780, but the
overall speed is somewhat lower.

They will probably appear first in a system-level product, which will be
a Q-bus machine with a private (i.e. fast) cpu-to-memory bus.  They will
then work their way down to board-level and chip-level products.

"When", you ask...  My source claims that announcement timing is the
subject of hot debate, but the word is "months".
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology