AT&T and Unix - The real issue

Michael A. Bloom mb at ttidcb.UUCP
Mon Jan 28 11:15:27 AEST 1985

>I would not be surprised if sometime in the near future the educational
>source discounts dried up.  Now that UNIX has a real market, AT&T doesnt
>really need them anymore.

I can't agree with this.  UNIX's livelihood depends upon the existance
of UNIX programmers.  The reason that there are so many of such has
been AT&T's educational pricing.  If AT&T's educational discounts
were to dry up, so would the supply of unix programmers, and later
UNIX* itself.

* UNIX(TS) is a trade secret of AT&T Bell Laboratories
--

--    Michael Bloom 	---  {philabs,trwrb,cadovax,randvax}!ttidca!mab