AT&T and Unix

BostonU SysMgr root%bostonu.csnet at CSNET-RELAY.ARPA
Tue Jan 15 11:52:10 AEST 1985

Universities get the sources cheap because they are willing to enter
into agreements to allow AT&T to retain ownership of software developed
on such systems (in general.) Universities can enter into such
contracts. If your business was willing to sign such a thing AT&T might
let you have it also but I doubt your business is interested as it wants
to make money (like AT&T.)  If a university decides otherwise then it,
too, has to purchase a commercial agreement...no difference as far as I
understand.

As for personal computing (a different subject) I agree, there is a real
problem here. Especially because so many personal computerists have
dreams of becoming businesses so they are not that special a case. For
this reason (confusion?) and others I am completely supportive of RMS's
GNU efforts and have several times offered to be of help where I can.
There is no conflict of ideas here, AT&T was nice to give Universities
source licenses for free, other ideas are nice too (GNU), some are not
so nice (paying for things I guess), so what?

		-Barry Shein