UDA50 and bad block forwarding

Mike Caplinger mike at rice.ARPA
Tue Jan 29 09:36:06 AEST 1985

Could somebody with a real UDA50 programmer's manual tell me two things?

1)  Does the UDA50 do its own bad block forwarding?  This is a
    persistent rumor, but totally false as far as I can tell.

2)  Is there DEC 144 forwarding information on the pack?  Does bad144(8)
    understand it?

We have what appears to be bad blocks in the middle of one of our swap
regions, so I assume that the answer to (1) is no.  Is there any way,
short of reformatting the pack, to get those blocks forwarded?

I thought I heard something about a bad block forwarding uda.c for 4.2
a while ago.  Does it work?  Can somebody send me a copy?

Thanks for the information.

	- Mike

ps.  If you have the choice, buy Eagles.