AT&T and Unix

tankus at hsi.UUCP tankus at hsi.UUCP
Thu Jan 17 23:42:43 AEST 1985

>> Munch Line <<

John,

Maybe what should be considered here is a compromise on both sides:

Get AT&T to distribute the sources to a users (hackers) group(s). These group(s)would fill the same roles as the universities, namely getting UNIX for free.
The group(s) in turn could sell or license the UNIX sources to hackers for a feeor in return for software development that would go into the public domain or beavailable to the general UNIX community.

I think alot of needs could be filled. The only problem here is the word *fee*.
What is reasonable and equitable to all parties? Should fees be based on whetherthe UNIX flavor is single or multi-user? If so, should it be broken down furtherby the number of multi-users supported at an increasing fee? Should fees be
based on the ability to pay?

Fees should not be the main discussion nor should who the next Joans or Joes of
Arcs should be. Rather, how can we get AT&T to work with us and we with them so
that everyone has a stake and everyone benefits. (Please, I don't live in Utopianor think Utopian but rather I try to think rationally).

In conclusion ...

Could someone mail me some info on what GNU is or isn't? I have not seen the
term used before. PLEASE SEND MAIL! I don't want to clutter this discussion.
All flames - PLEASE SEND MAIL! I will respond to you. Let's just leave this
as a constructive discussion.

				Thanks a bunch!

--

    "   For every word there is a song upon which inspiration lies ..."

		                 Ed Tankus

		        {noao, ihnp4, yale}!hsi!tankus
		        Health Systems International
		        New Haven, CT  06511