sendmail problem

John T. Nelson jnelson at trwrba.UUCP
Sun Jan 6 10:51:50 AEST 1985

	Anybody familiar with this problem?

Are you kidding?  I've been "familiar" with this problem for
several months.

	After searching numerious hours I decided to show my weakness
	and to ask help for my following bug:  in sendmail I get
	currently the message after every mail to another user:

	Cannot open /dev/console: Bad file number

	I am totally confused because this seemed to be caused by
	the functioncall: fopen(e->e_df, "r") in `putbody()'
	my sendmail tries to open /dev/console for reading but why???

There are other instances of "Cannot open" something in sendmail.
Another one is an attempt by sendmail to open the console for
logging delivery (see sendmail/lib/syslog.c).  Berkeley left
the DEBUG switch on and thus the ifdef EBUG caused sendmail to
always try to log the message to the console.

Another problem is that recompiling sendmail seems to rely on
sccs which we don't have so I can't modify sendmail just yet.

	biff y does not work anymore

Our biff failed as well.

	This problem occured after shuffeling with the hostname/uucpname.

Ours occured immediatly after we installed the mail software
distributed by Symbolics to support their Chaosnet system.
Installation of this software also required shuffling of the hostname.

			seismo!hao!hplabs!sdcrdcf!trwrb!trwrba!jnelson
			- John