Will 4.2 run on 11/785?

The Sherif "Matt D." dillon at ucbvax.ARPA
Tue Jan 22 04:37:32 AEST 1985

> We will be installing a nice new Vax 11/785 at the end of January.
> Will 4.2 boot from the distribution tape or do we need to make some
> modifications?  If it will boot, will it run without changes?
> --
> Derek Andrew, ACS, U of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon Saskatchewan, Canada, S7N 0W0
> {ihnp4 | utah-cs | utcsrgv | alberta}!sask!derek  306-966-4820  0900-1630 CST

I have heard that the 785 is 100% compatible with the 780... right down to
the processor I.D.  I have also heard that Dec purposefully did not fix the
bugs in the new 785 to keep it compatible with the 780.

So, in answer to your question... I don't know.  However, I don't forsee you
having any problems fixing the boot program if it does not work En-old.

			Matt