process status from the keyboard (like ^T in tops20)

Tim Smith tim at callan.UUCP
Wed Jan 23 07:10:16 AEST 1985

Cithep has had this feature for years.  ^T ( or whatever you have it set to ),
tells you the amount of real, system, and user time since the last ^T, the
text, data, and stack sizes, the state of the process ( running, sleeping,
waiting for terminal I or O, waiting for buffers, etc ), and the number of
page faults ( "hard" and "soft" ), and of course, what is running.  There
might be something else.

Kernel changes are simple, since it is implemented as a signal.  It is a user
mode program that does all the work.  I believe that the only hard part about
writting the program is deciding WHICH process to show info about.

Note that the process that waits for ^T spends most of it's time pause()ing,
and so does not use many system resources.  Also, since it only reads the
namelist and only has to open /dev/kmem once, it gets very good response.
--
Duty Now for the Future
					Tim Smith