print filter

Buckaroo Banzai david at infopro.UUCP
Fri Jan 4 15:23:21 AEST 1985

The original poster wanted a print program that could support printers
without backspacing, for use with nroff output. Simply define the
appropriate control characters in termcap (i.e. so and se strings for
standout (bold) start and end, and us/ue for underscore start/end),
then use ul as your filter, as in:

	nroff file | ul -Tprinter > /dev/print_device

Not all implementations of ul support both us/ue and so/se at once,
but you should be able to get at least one to work.
If this still isn't clear, I will post an example on request. If you
don't have ul, of course, you are out of luck or must write an
equivalent. You can also write a translation filter that processes the
output of col from the strings intended for a Diablo to the ones
needed for your printer; I also have a program of that nature if you wish.
Hope this helps.
--
          Dave Fiedler
{harpo,astrovax,whuxcc,clyde}!infopro!dave