unix & at&t

Gary M. Samuelson garys at bunker.UUCP
Wed Jan 23 05:16:19 AEST 1985

> /*
>
> this is not to condone wholesale piracy.

.. but you do condone retail piracy:

> to the issue of piracy in general: ever tape an album? what's it
> say on the back? unautorized duplication prohibited. why buy
> an album for $x.98 when two of my friends will fit on a $1.99
> tdk-sa c90 cassette? have the record companies gone broke? no.

No, but I can't afford to buy all the records I would like to
have because of theft by people like you.  The record companies
have not gone broke because they have to sell records for $9.98
instead of 4.98.  (For that matter, I strongly suspect that a
lot of record companies have gone broke, and I further suspect
that piracy contributed to the demise of some of them.

> i feel the same way about software. people that write it deserve
> to be paid for it, but dont squeeze the customers dry. if the price
> gets too high, morals get correspondingly lower. i have never been
> particularly impressed with businesses morals.

Should I be impressed with your morals?

> why do we have the
> consumer product commision, better business bureau, federal drug
> administration, aclu, osha, epa, federal trade commission, etc?

Because people like you run some businesses.