any harm in allowing only ctrl-Q to restart output?

Doug Gwyn <gwyn> gwyn at brl-tgr.ARPA
Wed Jan 2 13:31:14 AEST 1985

> I'd like to change UNIX to require ctrl-Q (actually t_startc)
> to restart output. With our terminals, it can only improve things -
> as it is, users have to know to press the NO SCROLL again (or hit
> ctrl-Q explicitly). Is this likely to cause any problems anywhere
> else?
>
> We're running v7 on a Perkin-Elmer 3220, by the way. The change is
> trivial - commenting out two lines in /usr/sys/dev/tty.c.
>
> As an alternative, I'm thinking of creating a new ioctl setting
> (TIOCQSTART?) which controls this behaviour, so it's user-settable.

Instead of making yet another incompatible flavor of UNIX,
how about implementing either the 4.?BSD "new tty" handler or
the UNIX System ? tty handler.  Both of these have fairly general
control over STALL and RESUME characters.