AT&T and Unix

lauren at RAND-UNIX.ARPA lauren at RAND-UNIX.ARPA
Wed Jan 16 07:55:34 AEST 1985

Exactly my point.  The sources for many other operating systems
and software, including things like MSDOS, CP/M, and a whole
range of application software, are in general also not available
or at least not available except at a very high price.

There is nothing unique about the Unix situation, and nothing
that disqualifies it from the same protections that other
property possess.

In any case, I've made my (hard line?  call it what you will) feelings
about this quite clear -- I consider software copying in these
situations to be theft, period.  This whole discussion probably
would belong in net-ethics.  Except there isn't such a group.
Perhaps there should be.  I wonder how many people would subscribe
to it?

--Lauren--