How do *you* debug device drivers?

Mark Wittenberg mark at rtech.ARPA
Sun Jan 20 02:23:09 AEST 1985

Thanks rob; that was a useful set of suggestions.

When I was at Zehntel we had an additional solution to the problem of crashes
while testing kernel software (we had plenty of "single-user" time).
We were running SUN 68000 boards, and since we had to rewrite the boot proms
anyway we put a small kernel debugger into the proms.  Then when the system
crashed we didn't have to reboot: we just activated the prom debugger and could
then look at a kernel stack trace, the proc table, random memory ... very
useful.

BTW, one of the nasty problems we had wouldn't have been very well addressed
by rob's techniques; the hardware in question worked ok EXCEPT for interrupts.
Another one worked only when run from a standalone kernel (because it fit in
64k!).

Mark Wittenberg
Relational Technology, Inc.

ucbvax!mtxinu!rtech!mark