Is 4.2BSD a failure?

Frederick M. Avolio avolio at grendel.UUCP
Sun Jan 27 01:19:03 AEST 1985

>       Is anyone getting this level of stability with a 4.2BSD system?
> Reports on ULTRIX would especially be appreciated.

Yes, we are on our Ultrix-32 system on a VAX-11/750.  We throw away
the up/down log periodically, so from memory -- in the 6 or 7 months I
have been using the system (it has been around longer than I) it has
crashed 5 or 6 times when the power went out due to thunderstorms
(each time it rebooted, fixed the file system errors, and came up on
its own).  It also crashed twice due to hardware errors in the disk
controller causing hard errors all over the disks. (This was fixed by
powering them all the way down and then back up again.  I don't claim
to understand it...:-))
--
Fred Avolio
301/731-4100 x4227