AT&T and Unix

Robert Elz kre at munnari.OZ
Sun Jan 27 11:59:31 AEST 1985

In article <558 at ncoast.UUCP> bsa at ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) writes:
| And, again, you miss the point of his posting.  Why does AT&T PLAY FAVORITES?
| Why do educational institutions -- repeat EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTIONS,
| get the source cheap, while small-machine Unix users don't?

This has been answered many times (though someone who recently said something
about doing community good was probably being a bit idealistic).

Its the same reason that DEC, IBM, Apple, etc sell hardware cheap to
educational institutions - its good business.  People get this special
feeling about their first sytem - its always the one that everything
else is compared against, and fail to satisfactorilly meet.

(I still wonder why all machines don't "or" index registers together
the way they were intended to be :-)

By making UNIX (or Vaxen, 4300's, or Macintoshes) readily available
to educational instutions, all those first timers get brought up
on unix (or ..).  That's then what they want forever after.
That's what they'll pressure management to buy, what they'll
choose when they become management, and what they'll buy for
their own small machine.

All that adds up to BIG MONEY.  You don't think its a good investment??

Robert Elz					decvax!mulga!kre