AT&T and Unix

Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) gwyn at BRL-VLD.ARPA
Tue Jan 15 14:04:23 AEST 1985

Just because you want something does not mean you have a claim on it.
UNIX is AT&T's property and if they want to ask a million dollars for
access to it that is their right.  Of course they would be foolish to
do so, but they also have the right to be fools.

The mass market of UNIX will consist of people who have no need to
mess around with their O.S. internals.  Adaptations of UNIX to these
packages will be made by OEMs and VARs who will pay the license fee
and amortize the cost over all the systems they will sell.  You too
can form a company to remarket UNIX, or you can develop your own copy
from scratch.  If you think that would cost you more than $43,000
(and you would be right about that!), then you should admit that what
AT&T has to offer is indeed WORTH what they are asking.

I would love a $40,000 automobile, but I do not gripe at Ferrari for
not selling it to me for $500.