AT&T and Unix - The real issue

preece at ccvaxa.UUCP preece at ccvaxa.UUCP
Mon Jan 28 16:34:00 AEST 1985

>	I'm sure they get a tax break for the educational donation, and by
>	making it available to schools, they are sure to develop entire
>	generations of computers freaks who demand to work on Unix, ...
I'm pretty sure the tax code restricts their deduction to the actual
cost of what they turn over, which would probably be just the tapes.
Apple wanted to get this changed for their "an apple for every school"
plan, but I think Congress rejected it at least once.  Maybe they
changed their mind later.  Getting a deduction for full retail price
would certainly seem to be unfair.

scott preece
gould/csd-urbana
ihnp4!uiucdcs!ccvaxa!preece