Is 4.2BSD a failure?

pedz at smu.UUCP pedz at smu.UUCP
Fri Jan 25 10:08:00 AEST 1985

Re Intellegent Ethernet boards:  How does two boards of possible
different vendors know about each other?  How do gateways get
implemented?  I do not know but it just seems to me that the OS
must be the supervisor of all the networking.  Besides, it provides
a more transparent method of communicating to another process.  Simply
open a socket and start talking.  The other process may be on the
same machine or on a different machine several gateways away.

If networking can be done with intellegent controllers and keep
this transparancy and flexibility, then I am all for it.  I just
do not see how it is possible.

Perry