background investigations

emks at uokvax.UUCP emks at uokvax.UUCP
Fri Jan 11 22:12:00 AEST 1985

/***** uokvax:net.unix-wizar / brl-tgr!ARPA /  2:19 pm  Jan  5, 1985 */
/*
while i'm not keen on the idea of people snooping around, there is an
easy solution: hire people who already have clearances and make the
government do the work!
*/
/* ---------- */
Umm,

There are a couple of problems with this:

a)  (Presuming you're hiring someone for a full-time position, since they're
most likely the sensitive ones:)  Security clearances DO NOT follow you.
I mean that once you quit from one sensitive job, no matter whether it's due
to "firing," "moving to a better job," or whatever, your security clearance
is immediately cancelled, and you're debriefed (talk about the Federal Laws
about secrecy that still apply, etc.).  Ergo, you're not hiring someone who
already has a "clearance"; you're hiring someone who HAD a clearance.

b)  And that brings up the point that just because someone was cleared once-
upon-a-time does NOT mean that he's clearable now.  I would say that the
more sensitive a position is, the more chance the person might be tempted
to accede to subversion--no matter how loyal he might have been (or appear
to be).

I wish it was easier, but I don't think it will ever be so...

		kurt