TU78 Tape Drive Problem.

notes at isucs1.UUCP notes at isucs1.UUCP
Sun Jan 13 17:02:42 AEST 1985

I have a problem with a tu78 tape drive; here are the symptoms:

Returns a hard error when "dumping" at 6250
mu0: hard error bn1440 mbsr=3080<DTCMP,DTABT,MBEXC> er=6519 ds=162200<RDY,PRES,ONL,BOT,AVAIL>
note: bn varries from 400 to 30000.
Problem seemed to occure after we had an air-conditioner breakdown, but I am
not 100% sure of this.

Doesn't return any errors when "tar"ing at 6250 or "dump"ing at 1600bpi

Dec ran diag. and swapped read & write boards with no luck.
They gave the drive a clean bill of health, and said dig a little further and
call when you have more information... Well I am digging ...

Has anyone seen this problem before, or can decode the error code given ?

I am not happy with having to do level 0 backups on 12 tapes, so any
information would be most welcome.

						Ted Fidder
						Iowa State University
						Ames Iowa