yacc: public domain?

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.UUCP
Wed Jan 9 03:14:58 AEST 1985

> >Anyone who has granted access to this stuff without imposing a non-disclosure
> >requirement as a condition of access is in violation of their Unix licence,
> >and AT&T could sue them for their shirts over it.
>
> Are you saying that *anybody* who uses a system should be made to sign a
> non-disclosure agreement?  I doubt that any university (with several hundred
> students on a typical Unix machine) could force all of them to sign any such
> thing.

Check your Unix licence for the exact wording, but a randomly-grabbed
(somewhat old) AT&T licence from my files reads, in part:

	LICENSEE agrees that it shall hold the LICENSED SOFTWARE in
	confidence for AT&T and the other Bell System companies.
	LICENSEE further agrees that it shall not make any disclosure
	of the LICENSED SOFTWARE ... to anyone, except to employees
	or students of the LICENSEE to whom such disclosure is necessary
	to the use for which rights are granted hereunder.  LICENSEE
	shall appropriately notify each employee and student to whom
	any such disclosure is made that such disclosure is made in
	confidence and shall be kept in confidence by him.

In other words, technically you are required to tell all your students
about the confidentiality requirements, and order them to comply.

Also, as I suggested in the earlier message, there appears to be no
distinction made between sources, libraries, include files, and binaries.
It's all covered.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology